Branton Campbell (Brigham Young University)
Bryan Chakoumakos (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)
Mitch Miller (Rice University) (CHAIR)
The USNCR/Cr subcommittee on Standards and Ethics focuses on current issues related to establishing and upholding the ethical standards of science, and disseminating scientific knowledge.
Ongoing activities and initiatives
- Survey selected journals and publishing houses regarding current ethical, operational, and financial challenges.
- Workshop for research administrators on “Supporting high-integrity scientific venues”.
- Review of funding-agency requirements and funding provisions for open-access publishing.
- IUCr Congress Young Observers program.
- Conduct a survey on attitudes towards the inclusion of faculty structural scientists as co-authors on scientific publications to which they make substantial intellectual contributions.
- Internal report on scientific-venue integrity (2018-2019).
- USNC/Cr public statement scientific-venue integrity (2019-2020).
- Review of F.A.I.R. practices in the crystallographic community (2020).
- Engaged the ACA, AIP, APS, ACS, and Protein Society in discussions on how to best promote scientific-venue integrity (2020).